Sunday, January 22, 2012

Ah WRITING! Something I used to love, and now something I fear yet respect greatly. While I have had my successes and failures as a writer, I think above all I know that I truly love it. I just do not have a talent for metaphor, a problem which I think greatly compromises my writing. Because of this a lot of my writing is stoic and stale, and not representative of how colorful my imagination is. I. Write. Like. A. Robot. Sometimes. 


A very important thing for when I begin writing is that I know what I am writing about. If I do not have a hearty amount of research, and questions or an interest in what I'm writing about, my writing will go nowhere. I generally compile a gigantic word document of sources and quotations I find inspiring, and then work on formulating an essay from what I have chosen. Granted, I choose these sources and quotations with a theme in mind. So if I'm writing an essay about "the lack of free will" I will find many quotations and sources about that topic and see from there what I want my particular thesis to be.


I still haven't found a writing haven. I'm pretty uncomfortable wherever I write. I am such a perfectionist that I become obsessive about my writing. Regardless of how peaceful my surroundings are, my mind is racing furiously and my internal system is by no means calm. I know writing at home can be particularly challenging for me. I start organizing my desk or decide that I really would love a cup of peppermint tea, or even better! how about I just go cook a meal for an hour instead. 


I used to think I couldn't write while listening to music but I've recently learned that is not true. Bob Dylan seems to be a catalyst for success, so I've taken to listening to his nasal musings while I write. 


As far as wisdom, I don't think I can share any. I was surprised in class to hear how different everyone's writing style is. I was expecting more people to follow the generic: find sources,  make an outline, write a first draft, edit, write another draft etc. etc. but it seems many people have their own unique ways of writing successfully. All I know is that writing one draft and turning it in is NOT the way to go. This is what most of my friends do.  I don't know if it was because people didn't want to acknowledge the fact that they are actually quite lazy, or if everyone really does work hard on their papers, but I was surprised no one said that they write their papers a day before they're due and cross their fingers it all turns out ok. 


Sometimes I wish I could take this approach. But I'm far too possessive of my homework to do that. I read and read and re-read my little puppies until I know them so well I don't even understand my own argument anymore. It's sort of a problem. 


When I am writing creatively, I like to write short sentences I find interesting that I've created or discovered in the day. I like to take these sentences and run wild. Today I thought of the sentence "You smell like a lemon popsicle." Delightful!



No comments:

Post a Comment